- Vietnam releases dissident prie
- Aid flown to cyclone-battered F
- 中国发布新网规 China Iss
- US envoy: Israelis and Palestin
- Vatican to issue Pope's letter
- Third suspect arrested in Juare
- US citizen David Headley admits
- Official: Armenian genocide res
- Serbia-Kosovo row mars EU-Balka
- Marie Osmond's 18-year-old son
- Less likely to buy foreign car
- Rapper Lil' Wayne sentenced to
- Playstation Move: Motion Contro
上海液氨泄漏致15人死 Liquid Ammonia Leak Kills at Le
An ammonia leak from a cold storage unit at a food company in China's commercial hub of Shanghai killed 15 people on Saturday and sickened dozens。
The leak sickened 26 people, who had been sent to hospital, with six in critical condition, the Shanghai government said in a statement.
The accident occurred in the northern district of Baoshan due to a leaking pipe linked to a refrigeration unit owned by a seafood company。
More than 200 firefighters were deployed to the scene, using water to disperse the liquid ammonia and its fumes.
Liquid ammonia used in refrigeration can destroy lung tissue, easily resulting in death, and cause chemical burns on the skin。
The food company involved, Shanghai Weng's Cold Storage Industrial Co., is engaged in the import and export, storage, processing and sales of aquatic products.
On August 20, five workers at a local food company died after inhaling poisonous fumes while cleaning a vat used for making pickled vegetables。
China has a dismal record on industrial safety as lax enforcement of laws causes business owners to cut corners or offer bribes to evade standards.